Make the tools to make the tool in this fascinating five-day course. Whilst learning the fundamental principles of the art of blacksmithing, you will produce a set of practical equipment to enable you to create your very own blacksmith’s hammer. There are a maximum of two available spaces per course, ensuring you will receive close supervision from your experienced tutor, our resident blacksmith, Dave.
The Blacksmith Tool Making Course costs £800 per person.
What skills will I learn?
- How to source blacksmithing materials and to test metal for high carbon steel
- The process of heat treating
- A range of fundamental techniques
- How to blacksmith using both a heritage coke fire and a modern gas fuelled fire
- How to make: a range of chisels, a round punch, a pair of tongs, the tools for making a cross peen hammer and the hammer itself. If time permits, you may also be able to make a range of optional additional metal items using your new tools.
- All the equipment and material you need to create your range of blacksmith tools
- Instructions, advice and assistance from experienced tutor Dave
- Use of personal protection equipment (goggles, gloves and an apron)
- Tea, coffee and some light refreshments on each day of your course
This course is suitable for those aged 18 and above. It is physically demanding, therefore participants must be in a reasonable state of good health in order to take part. Please contact us via email if you would like to book a space on this course but you have any concerns about its suitability for you.