In 1086 the Domesday survey shows evidence that there were 3 Watermills in the Wittering area, the mill at our existing site was probably one of them. Sacrewell Farm as part of the Manor of Thornhaugh was recorded as owned by the St. Medard family.
In the 16th Century the land at Sacrewell passed into the ownership of the Bedford Estate. In 1750 all the main buildings were constructed and from accommodating 20 or more farmers the land now supported just three main tenants.
After 490 years in the Bedford Estate the Michaelmas of 1917 brought about new ownership. William Scott Abbott became the farmer at Sacrewell Farm and during this time witnessed enormous changes in farming practices. He managed the Farm until he became unwell and sadly died in 1959.
William and his wife Mary were keen for Sacrewell Farm to continue to prosper and benefit others in the future and made plans for the Farm to become a charitable trust.
As a result in January 1964 The William Scott Abbott Trust was formed with aims to advance all forms of agricultural practices on the working Farm and to provide educational facilities for the general public.